The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has reissued its Crowd Management Safety Guidelines for Retailers. It wants retailers dealing with crowded sales events to take steps that include (at a minimum):
- On-site trained security personnel or police officers;
- Barricades or rope lines for pedestrians that do not start right in front of the store’s entrance;
- The implementation of crowd control measures well before customers arrive at the store;
- Emergency procedures in place to address potential dangers;
- Methods to explain approach and entrance procedures to the arriving public;
- Observing maximum occupancy levels and;
- Not blocking or locking exit doors.