California’s Department of Industrial Relations recently held a public webinar about the Paid Sick Leave that California employers must begin providing on July 1, 2015. We’ve discussed what the law requires generally here and here.
The DIR listed these 6 steps for employers to successfully comply with this law:
- Display the paid sick leave poster where it’s accessible and have a paid sick leave policy.
- Give new hires written notice about the company’s paid sick leave policy.
- Provide for accrual of at least one hour of paid sick leave for 30 hours of work.
- Allow eligible employees to use paid sick leave upon request.
- Show employees how many hours of paid sick leave they have available either on the pay stub or a separate document issued the same day as the paycheck.
- Keep records showing how many hours employees have earned and used for three years.
Here’s a link to the webinar and the slides from the Department of Industrial Relations. July 1, 2015 is around the corner. Employers that don’t have their ducks in a row should get going on this now.